Saturday, August 14, 2010

Best of the week entry 2

Comes from Alan Knox, Watch out for those that cause divisions. His post centers on Paul's admonition in Romans 16: 17-18 :

I think that many Christians today live by this warning, as long as they can define what Paul meant by “doctrine that you have been taught.”

In fact, many people come up with different levels of doctrine and use those levels to determine levels of fellowship. I don’t think this is what Paul had in mind here at all.

I guess my question is this: Given the importance of unity throughout Scripture and without naming particular doctrines (teachings), how do we decide which teachings to divide over?


We have few reasons in Scripture to divide from people so we have spent hundreds of years cooking up new reasons to not be in fellowship with people across the street. As I have said before, unity often means "agreeing with me" but that is not what Christians unity should be about. Christians should not be divided into ghettos based on race, economics or denominations.

No comments: